When it comes to candy an almond joy was my favorite! There is just something about the combination of chocolate, coconut, and almonds. However, almond joys don’t have the best ingredient list. One of the first ingredients is sugar plus a whole list of added sugars, preservatives, and additives.
What is great about these energy balls is you get that sweetness without the crash! Medjool dates may be high in sugar, but they’re low glycemic, which means our body won’t blow through it immediately. This is due to the fiber that is in them as fiber not only helps with digestion but also keeping our blood sugar low. The fats from the almonds and coconut also ensure our blood sugar is balanced and satisfy us.
Now, the main star being cacao powder is what curbs that sweet tooth. It still gives you that chocolate fix you crave, but also a punch of antioxidants. You can have your chocolate and eat it too ladies and gents! Let’s get to my favorite part which is making and eating these energy balls!
Almond Joy Energy Bites
- 1 cup Almonds (Preferably Raw)
- 2 cups Medjool Dates (Remove the pits)
- 6 tbsp Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- In your food processor, place in the almond + dates.
- Blend on “low” for a couple minutes until you get a grainy texture of the almonds + dates.
- Place in the coconut + cacao powder and blend until incorporated.
- Remove the cover + blade and begin rolling them into 22g balls.
- Place in the fridge on a plate for them to stiffen +then store in a glass container!
As a mild disclaimer, I have only used a food processor to make energy balls. I feel like the blender would turn them into a smoothie…or paste…I have no idea. After you have made these energy balls, place them in a glass container (I use mason jars) and keep in the fridge!
I love eating these as a snack or after a meal if I am craving something sweet (which is all the time). I hope you love this recipe as much as I do and contact me on Instagram if you have made them!